2017 saw many new faces in Punjabi Film Industry. While some made it to the next level, there are still others struggling to get attention.
Let's take a look at the debutantes who tried their luck on the Punjabi big screen and whether we will be seeing them on the vdda parda this year:
- Ranjit Bawa had as many as four releases namely Sarvann, Toofan Singh, Bhalwan Singh & Vekh Baaratan Challiyan in his debut year. Out of all four only Vekh Baraatan Challiyan was big success but unfortunately he was credited only for his guest appearance. Sarvann was an average fare at box office, Toofan Singh was not released in India but did well overseas. But Bhalwan Singh was a major disappointment. Even after such sad box office reports Ranjit Bawa is still one of the most sought after newcomers in the industry. Currently, he is doing two projects in 2018 namely Khido Khundi & Mr&Mrs 420 Returns.
- Tarsem Jassar is another singer to join the acting field,As of now he is making films under his own productions,Rabb Da Radio &Sardar Mohammad were two experimental films of the year,and both were received well by the audience.
- Parmish Verma made his debut with the action thriller Rocky Mental and has even announced its sequel.
- Harp Farmer made his debut in Kawela and will now be seen in Jagga Jiunda E.
- Satinder Sartaj impressed everyone with The Black Prince on National & International level, though an English Film but its Punjabi version also found acceptance. Satinder is quite choosy about his acting assignments, so may be we won't watch him in acting field frequently.
- Jashan Singh, son of known Punjabi singer Hardeep Singh, made his acting debut with Dushman, but it failed miserably.
- Daljit Kalsi, a non singer-actor, joined the films with Jackie Shroff starrer Sardar Saab is already working on his next film Jagga Jiunda E and his leading lady is Kainaat Arora.
- Ninja and PayalRajput made their debut with Channa Mereya. Those who have seen Sairaat know well what lacked in the film and act of both the lead actors. While Ninja is doing a film called Aahlna, Payal Rajput has been cast for Mr&Mrs 420 Returns. She will also be seen in the Bolly flick 'Veerey Ki wedding'. Amrit Mann was also in ChannaMereya in negative role and is now a part of Laung Laachi starring Neeru Bajwa and Amberdeep Singh as lead.
- Super Star Neeru Bajwa's sister Rubina Bajwa made her acting debut with Neeru's home production Sargi. It did moderately but her acting could not impress many. She will be next seen in Smeep Kang's Laavan Phere opposite Roshan Prince. Besides that, Neeru will be always be there to help Rubina in establishing her career in Punjabi Cinema.
- Current Popular Singer Nimrat Khaira was part of Lahoriye but the kind of star status she has, she deserved a better debut. In a side role, Nimrat did not get to show her acting abilities much.
- Similarly, Punjabi model like Sara Gurpal was wasted in a sister's role in Manje Bistre, and was later seen in a proper role in Dangar Doctor Jelly but she couldn't really establish herself as an actor.
- Prachi Tehlan, in her debut year, was seen in two films but currently she is doing a Hindi TV serial.
- Kavita Kaushik of Hindi serials repeated her Haryanvi girl act in super hit film 'Vekh Baaratan Chaliyan' and currently is a doing Gurdas Mann's Nankana.
- Some NRI Girls like Poppy Jabbal, Navpreet Banga, Diana Uppal also joined Punjabi Films, but may hardly be seen much in Punjabi Films again, though Navpreet has a music video in her kitty with Gippy Grewal.
Apart from mentioned one there were over dozen new girls who were seen in Punjabi Films in 2017 but very few of them will be repeated again. On a good note 2017 thankfully did not see much of 'flop and out of work' girls from Bollywood in Punjabi Film Industry.
Punjabi Film Industry needs new faces,but those who have the power to establish themselves in the reign.